Whip up a high-energy Flugel drink with just 3 ingredients - cranberry vodka, Red Bull, and ice. This recipe will give you the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors, and a lasting energy boost. Perfect for a late-night party or a busy shift at the bar. Get the recipe now!
- stir the ingredients together with ice
- fill glass
The Flugel: A Popular, Versatile Cocktail
As a professional bartender, I’ve served countless cocktails to patrons over the years. However, one drink that I’ve seen consistently rise in popularity is the Flugel. This unique cocktail is known for its sweet and tangy flavor, as well as its versatility in terms of variations and substitutions. In this post, I’ll delve into the history and origins of the Flugel, discuss its ingredients and garnish options, highlight some popular variations, and touch on common mistakes to avoid when making it.
The Flugel is a relatively new cocktail, having first gained popularity in the early 2000s. It originated in the Netherlands and quickly spread to other parts of Europe, and eventually the United States. The drink is often associated with the nightlife scene, as it is frequently served at bars and clubs.
In terms of appearance, the Flugel is a bright red color, thanks to its main ingredient: Red Bull energy drink. The drink is typically served in a highball or Collins glass with ice, and garnished with a lime wedge.
The Flugel is a simple cocktail that only requires three ingredients: cranberry vodka, Red Bull energy drink, and ice. The proportions are usually equal parts of each ingredient, although some variations may call for more or less of one ingredient.
Cranberry vodka is a key ingredient in the Flugel, as it gives the drink its distinct sweet and tart flavor. Some popular brands of cranberry vodka include Absolut, Smirnoff, and Grey Goose.
Red Bull energy drink provides the Flugel with its signature bright red color, as well as a boost of energy. Other energy drinks can be substituted, but Red Bull is the most commonly used.
When it comes to garnishing the Flugel, simplicity is key. A lime wedge is the most common garnish, as it complements the tartness of the cranberry vodka. Simply squeeze the lime wedge into the drink and drop it in.
For a more festive look, some bartenders may add a sugared rim to the glass. To do this, dip the rim of the glass in lime juice, then dip it in a plate of sugar.
One of the great things about the Flugel is its versatility. Here are a few popular variations:
- Virgin/Mocktail Version: For those who prefer not to consume alcohol, the Flugel can easily be made into a mocktail by omitting the cranberry vodka and increasing the amount of Red Bull. Add a splash of cranberry juice for extra flavor.
- Gluten-Free Version: All of the ingredients in the Flugel are naturally gluten-free, so no substitutions are necessary.
- Vegan Version: As with the gluten-free version, no substitutions are needed for a vegan Flugel.
- Keto Version: To make a keto-friendly Flugel, substitute the Red Bull with a sugar-free energy drink, and use a low-carb cranberry-flavored vodka.
- Low-Calorie Version: To cut down on calories, use a light cranberry vodka and a sugar-free energy drink.
While the Flugel is a relatively simple drink to make, there are a few common mistakes to avoid:
- Using too much cranberry vodka: Equal parts of each ingredient is the standard ratio for a Flugel. Using too much cranberry vodka can overpower the other flavors and make the drink too sweet.
- Using the wrong type of energy drink: Red Bull is the most commonly used energy drink in the Flugel, and for good reason. Other energy drinks may have different flavors or sugar levels that can affect the taste of the drink.
- Not garnishing properly: A lime wedge is all that’s needed to garnish a Flugel. Adding too many other garnishes can detract from the simplicity of the drink.
In conclusion, the Flugel is a popular and versatile cocktail that’s easy to make and customize. Whether you’re looking for a mocktail, a gluten-free option, or a low-calorie version, the Flugel has got you covered. By following the standard ratio of ingredients, garnishing with a lime wedge, and avoiding common mistakes, you can create a delicious Flugel that will impress your friends and customers alike.
If you are going to order Flugel in a bar, don’t forget to mention all the ingredients to the bartender. Flugel can be served with different ingredients in different places.